Toxic molds are running rampant in our homes, offices and schools. Exposure to mycotoxins has been linked to the death of infants, as well as immune-compromised adults. Despite increasing reports of mold-induced illness and health problems associated with mold exposure, our public health agencies offer little, if any support or funding for research into this growing problem.
There is no one answer why toxic molds are on the rise since the early 1970's or why we seem to be seriously harmed by exposure. Mechanical ventilation, shoddy or defective building practices, use of drywall, poor inspections, and lack of maintenance, along with increased rain fall and/or increased flooding have all been blamed. Curiously, these fungi have been on earth for millions of years. Leviticus 14 gives detailed instructions on how to deal with this "plague."
Initially, illnesses resulting from exposure were labeled "sick building syndrome," but as data and research became available, the connection with mycotoxins became increasingly clear and definite patterns of building-related illnesses (BRI) connected with indoor exposures began to emerge.
Symptoms of exposure vary according to the strength of the immune
response, as well as type(s) of mold exposed to (not all mold/fungi are toxic), concentration of spores and length of exposure. When exposed you might experience symptoms similar to the common cold - sneezing, chest congestion, watery eyes, sinus discomfort and/or headaches. As exposure continues, headaches may intensify into migraines, nose bleeds and mucus production may occur, disorientation or other neurological symptoms might begin. Later, depending on the extent of immune system damage, symptoms like extreme fatigue, heart and lung damage, immune system disorders like fibromyalgia, CFS, MCS, lupus,cancer,etc. and asthma are being reported. Immune and/or neurological damage may be permanent.